Sunday, April 10, 2016

Two poems that seemingly go well together...#13 & #14

It hit me today as I was sitting in another memorial service for one of my friends that in the last nine months I’ve lost five faithful men in my life. Some I knew well and some not so well, but boy did they leave an impact at the times they bolstered me up and were there. I also thought of my brothers as the words said about this unique man, my friend at church, was also echoes so familiar of the men in my life I’ve lost as they were all of this strain of the faithful and faith filled men.
I have wept most of the day away missing them.
So, this poem is for Nolan, whose memorial was today, and he was my friend at church for twenty-two years. I started this thinking of him and then it broadened out as this is also for Deems, who is having his memorial next week, and was a theatre mentor for me when I got to Seattle in 1994 and remained a friend I could always call. His jolly laughter is ringing in my ears still.
This is for my Dad, who I miss, as he was just buried three weeks ago. He was a small town doctor and he showed up day or night at any hour for all kinds of people. When I think back, he did show up for me a few unexpected times also, to make sure his baby was being treated right. He was a good man.
This is for Henry, the neighborhood Dad, as I was growing up and always made time for me and went on in February. I have memories of fond talks with that quiet, funny man.
This is for Wes, another theatre Dad, who had a cheery disposition and corny smile on and off stage plus gave great hugs---he went on this fall.
And it is National Sibling Day---for my faithful brothers Tom, that teased me something awful, but I loved sparring with and he has been gone nearly ten years now, and David, who will have been gone four soon, who was always there with some gentle graces and now is not.
And these men made me think of my adopted grandfather, “Uncle Wils”, whose kindness shaped me so much into who I am today. Even though he’s been gone for twenty years now, I often think of him, especially when someone uses the words faithful about someone else---he always leaps to mind.
Bear with the sentimentality about these wonderful men I was so privileged to know, even for just a little while. To the men that have gone before me….

Team Faithful Sliding Home
What a rare thing
Praise for the faithful
For the one who shows up
No matter what
Rain, wind, ice, snow,
Sleet, hail, or threatened tornado,
He was there
He came and was in each group
Occupying a space
In the loop
A strong link in the chain
In our hearts he will remain
He led not by shouting
Anyone down
But by checking on those
Who sported a frown
He cared for us all
When we needed a job done
To him we’d call
And he’d come
No matter the time
Or where from
He’d find a way
Or would relay
Someone to help
He didn’t stall
He was there
And now he’s not
But we are not all he’s got
His Savior was his love
He’s now with him above
We are sure he has that spot
So celebrate and dance
Joke and laugh
Despite this sudden advance
We are glad
Our friend
Is home at last

Inspired by today’s scripture readings from Zechariah and the sermon text of John 9:1-11 (and the sermon).

 Nor By Strength of Men
Not by might nor by power
We are given
We handed over
All we are
To be more
Than what we
Think we are
No judgement
We unload
Our locker
Of belittlement
To melt away
The crust
Unearthed a soft
Newborn exposed
To the elements
Of ordinary holiness
Seeing what wasn’t
Now is
To become
What can be?
In clay pots
Spit shined beyond clean
The common essentials
Now gold
To unfold
An uncommon life

No comments: