Friday, April 15, 2016

An odd pair of poems---new and old #19 and blast from past

My mind and focus are off galloping around tonight, so I took a journal or two off the shelf looking at old scribbled poems. Many hand written in journals are laments, complaints, much deep sorrow, or working out a particular moment. Most are not for publishing ever. Really, never, never, ever!
I think it is more of a glimpse into my mind and not so universal. I still write some of those here too during this month I just put it all out there in poetry, but these scribbled notes from journals put me instantly into that place or emotion of when I was writing it the first time. It isn’t like typing on the computer. It is much more personal. So, that is the second poem underneath the one I wrote tonight, which is the first poem that popped out after reading a bunch of random stuff.
Somehow it informed complex thoughts about words and Jesus….

Bending Down to Meet Miracles
The dry earth, cracked
Yet he bends down
Spits and writes
Words form
Mystery
Does it matter?
What is said?
Carries the authority
Of what is meant
Dirt scribbles
Scramble meaning
Becomes metaphor
Door
Stepping onto written earth
Beneath thousands of years
Time has gone
And still
We don’t know
What was written?
There by the hand of God
Man’s form and fingers
Curled around
Stick
Man scrapes forms
Sets type
Harnesses sun
To copy
Dust

Kitchen Captive         (written May 2010 after a really horribly hard day)
1 a.m., crying my eyes out in the kitchen again
My kitchen, a comfort zone giving me distance
Or solace, when everything is so tangled
Like cobwebs up by the ceiling where I can’t reach
The beauty, danger, and infringing nature of a spider’s complex home
My weeping stops to examine this mystery
I feel caught,
Bound tight.
Waiting as a fly in a hopeless shroud
My inner being cries out to the night,
“Get on with it and eat me already!”
No one rescues the annoying bug in the corner
Brought back to my surroundings
I plan my next meal, taste, smell
From the familiar cozy routine of grief
A strand from a web is stuck to my face
I envision the freedom found in walking
Through this cobweb cluttered room
Into the bright morning light
Feeling the fallen structures
Brushed away by a gentle touch
Of those who love me
A few white strands brushed casually aside
As I stride away from my slavish stovetop

No comments: