Sunday, April 24, 2016

Alone poem #29

I saw more homeless people today in a short span of time in my suburb than I had seen before. I felt helpless and overwhelmed to try to help them. I failed miserably in doing much of anything.
The other night, I was talking to a long-time acquaintance/friend, she struck me as more lonely than I’d ever thought before and I tried harder to connect to her, but it wasn’t easy. Again, it seemed ineffectual.
I watched an episode of the History Channel’s show Alone and I thought about what surviving in this world takes and how we now deem that as “entertainment” and I felt like this is a very strange culture we live in. And a conversation with another mother talking about how hard it is to “change a culture”---all of this funneled through my thoughts tonight to form a poem to remind me that things do need to change for all our survival. I need to do more than just survive.
Lost in the Wilderness
In among the trees
Bear scat is everywhere
Showing that they live there
No person ventures here
Except creatures that growl or howl
Cold wet woods or on concreate
A man holding a homemade sign
With one word “hungry”
Looks past those that pass
Hurried customers reading the sign
Not checking-in with the man
Who holds it so tight
Night falls deep and fast
A woman types “like”
Clicking right and left
Too far away friends
Who “get” her but
She never sees in real time
She is glued to this one spot
Hoping the phone will ring
It almost never does
She sighs as tomorrow
She will walk past
The familiar spot at the store
Where that man waits
To be fed
She will run in quick
To get supplies
For her camp out with kids
that she teaches
And she knows everything
About them
But they don’t know one thing
About her
She goes out another door
So she doesn’t have to see
The hungry man again
He just wants a warm greeting
A place to wash
He wants real meeting of just one
Other person today
She has no time
To really talk and he could
Keep her too long
Though he is an expert
On how to avoid the bears
And things that go bump
In the night
She has fright
Of another kind
that the kindness
Will be taken wrong
And somehow he will tangle up
Her life and she’ll fall in a trap
By saying “hello” or “what’s your name?”
An unwritten contract will be signed
Ironclad and she’ll not know
How to end it
No, she has children waiting,
Students she has promised to teach
How to survive
In this vast wilderness











No comments: