Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Poems #23 & #24 Yellow and a Boy telling me about bees!

I write in my office where I really do have a western facing window that gets super sunny this time of year. I interact with my curtains every single day.
And I interact with my boy every day also. He has days where everything is on repeat and today was like that. Today he kept asking me, “Mama, what is a honeycomb?” and “Did you know that a worker bee can go inside a honeycomb?” He couldn’t explain to me tonight why it was all about bees for a couple of hours today. Then later the subject finally turned to dinosaurs and then evolution and then creation and then we ended up somewhere in Siberia. And this was in the course of about an hour and a half. Hence tonight’s poems.

Sunshine Yellow
A yellow curtain
Hung to block out
The brightest sun
Each day I unfold it
Spreading it wide
To catch the rays
Those flood my window
Early as the sun
Rises over the trees
And stun my sleepy eyes
Like Mom shaking me
When I pull the covers
Over my head
I hide
The curtain closed
I feel like no one
Can find me
Like I’ve won
Hide and seek
In my cave so dim
Nothing on but
My computer screen
Blank waiting for warmth
From words to flow
And spread like light
Breaking the dark night
To bring on the day

Thought Building Honeycombs
Did you know?
Is the start to nearly every sentence
The light tone with a serious
Pull of wanting to know if I really do know
Or do I pretend to listen?
He repeats, one, two, three, four, five, six,
I loose count in the never ending cycle
It all whizzes by me in a buzz, buzz, buzz,
The lecture loosening his every thought
That tumbles like one pebble
That brings down an avalanche
Till I am buried under all the thoughts
Weighing us both down
He can float from subject to subject
Like a bee looking for that right flower
To land on
Yet when he does land
He can stay there
Until there isn’t one drop of nectar left
The flower has given its very life force
To be a part of his honey
And he flies back to store it
All his words are now at a full stop
I wake from my stupor
To fill-in the pause
It is too late
The silent worker bee
Is depositing his secret stash
In twisting chambers
Only he can fit into
Only he knows the path
I wait for another question
It is a long time coming
When he’s ready he flies
Out again on the hunt
For that perfect flower
Telling me when he’s found it

No comments: