Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Poem #7 Daddy's Steady Gaze

My Daddy is on my mind. Tonight I offer up the poem I wrote in all its ineptitude, but it had “to be”. I was asked by my sisters to do the obituary at my Dad’s funeral three weeks ago. My sisters planned everything and did a great job doing so, but they told me when I arrived the day before the funeral what my part was, which was fine, but when I arrived at the church an hour before the service I had this conversation with the undertaker.
UT: So, you’re Sarah? And you’ll be doing the obituary and reading a poem?
ME: What?
UT: You are doing the obituary?
ME: Yes, I knew that part, but poem?
UT: Oh, your sisters thought you might read one of your poems or have a story or something about your father? That’s alright if you don’t, I suppose, but they seemed to think….
ME: No, I get it. I might have something….let me think for a few minutes on it?
UT: Of course, of course, let us know?
ME: Of course, I will….yes…just let me think?
And off I went to the front pew listening to my sisters practice piano and songs and I turned the obituary that my sister had written out over to start to scribble some kind of poem or memory on the back and now it was less than an hour till service. I have so many stories now, but being on that day and time, I could think of little that was specific or appropriate to tell, so I began with two lines that popped into my head.  
I was interrupted by several people wanting to hug and talk that had come in special for the funeral. I hugged and talked. I got back to the task when we all sat down and my sister Joan began prelude. I knew I had about two minutes to either produce something or say nothing, which didn’t seem right at all, so I wrote this and improvised a little better on the fly while standing up there “reading” it after I’d read the obituary. I didn’t title it until now. I wish it were better, but it did what it was supposed to do at the time and hints at the great man we all loved.

Daddy’s Steady Gaze
My father’s eyes
Looked to the skies
For inspiration and hope
To find strength to cope
With needs beyond his scope
His kind heart embraced
To those he spoke
Tying together he laced
A community forever
Compassion he invoked
Daddy will be missed
Conversations provoked
Ideas, love, history
Will forever float
Around the memory
Like he spoke
We hear his voice
In ours









No comments: