Thursday, April 07, 2016

Poem #9 Unusually Warm Weather Boy

A delightful day at the beach with my loving son today and as you can see it was the highlight of my day. I don’t want to jinx it, but this is the best school break I can remember having with him in many years and I don’t think it is just the weather.

Unusually Warm Weather Boy
The little ones frolic
Dragging heavy buckets of wet sand
To and fro, giggling and finding the spaces in between
Their energy is pulsing with the tide
My son stands still
Like a giant in this strange land filled with munchkins
Or mini-fish swimming by him
He seems to concentrate on that one grain of sand
That is stuck
He feels it and knows each corner
It feels sharp becoming smooth
A pearl cuts its new path
As he stares at the horizon
The other children are playing
Not noticing the clam-boy
Silent looking at everything while
Seeming to stare at nothing
The heard passes him by
Caught in the tag team of each other
And what the next one is doing
Can they join in?
They leave to party down the beach
Somewhere mothers call them
Siblings throw water on each other
Screaming delight as a preschool teacher
Blows bubbles on her charges
All the while, my son mimics the seagulls
Taunting them as they fly overhead
He toots like the ferry horn
As it docks full and friendly
He tunes up a key to be the train whistle
as it chugs by the busy beach
He is the sound of everything
That some don’t hear
and others turn their heads
wondering where that extra
Call, horn, or whistle is emanating from?
He goes gently to the water
sticking in his feet to freeze
April thaw off the mountains
Turns his toes blue
His titers with delight
The shock to his system
It seems to thrill as much as horrify
He grins wide turning his
face firmly up to the sun
His eyes closed, yet so wide open
To everything
Though nothing seems to get in
He speaks only to me
From movie lines or explaining seagull habits
Or the constant weather topic
Unusual warmth today
will most likely break all previous records
He dances at the thought
Then turns his face again
Up to soak in that statistic
Through his skin
It meaning nothing to most people
And everything to him
He travels back and forth now
A slower version of those
Children around him
That have worn a path to the water’s edge
He comes to talk to me where I sit
Soaking in the sun
He doesn’t want to leave me
But the water calls
I get up to walk to the edge with him
Kick off my shoes
Asking him to hold my hand
And help me brave the cold
He dutifully does
Helping me step into the icy Puget Sound
I squeal because I can’t help it
He laughs, his eyes delighted that I’ve joined him
In this tiny bit
The waves wash our feet
A holy ceremony
In this cathedral of sun, wind, and sound
As all around us rushes by
We stand
I hear nothing but him
And he shows me everything








No comments: