Monday, April 04, 2016

Poem #6 Car Accident Chats with My Son

Car Accident Countdown
Nine, count them nine
It’s hard to believe
I couldn’t retrieve reports for all of them
But he asked and I kept thinking there was more
I hit a parked car
That is where I learned “classic” means
Expensive to repair
The dirt road roll-over
I wasn’t sure what happened
A big rock and going too fast
Was part of the story?
The lady that left a perfect impression of her front end
In my side passenger door
I remember that shock well
And another lady that clipped my bumper
As I finished that left hand turn
And she spun me round into on-coming traffic
Or the polite teen that rear ended me
But boy, was I mad because it was
Their entire fault
But, I’ve had faults too
The rain pelting down
More than once
I misjudged that turn
As the watery ghost of a car
Near me seemed farther away
And the time the air bag hit
With such force
I don’t remember if I walked away
Or the ambulance came?
Later my dear one
Went to clean out the van
What was left in it?
And he came home to hug me so close,
I could barely breathe
As he sobbed in my arms
To see how close death could have been
Those angels that pushed it inches
The other direction are on double duty
In times like that
My boy asked and I answered
They all seem incredibly long ago
But now that I’m remembering
I think there was a tenth
That is a nice round number
And a good place to stop

No comments: