Sunday, April 17, 2016

For Deems #21

I went to another memorial today for a great man. He is so much more than the words I put together here. I have a hard time putting into words what he meant to me. I will say he kept me going a couple of times in theatre when I wanted to quit and once when I was ready not to give Seattle a chance at all too.
He used to look at me and say, “Just be your terrific self. That’s all you need to do.” He saw that in so many others, but struggled to see it in himself and I so understood that. He was a kindred spirit, I really can’t replace in my life. 
He was so very unique and will leave a big hole, but I’m glad there are spaces I will always think of him when I enter them. Thanks, Deems for everything. I hope you have great dance partners in Heaven!
Ode to Deems the Great
Deems, “Big D”, Deemsy
Was always full of whimsy
I knew him two minutes
And I saw his benefits
In his generosity
His enormous curiosity
His booming voice
Gave you no choice
But to respond
And before long
You were fast friends
On him you could depend
He gave his best
Now he’s at rest
His laugh I’ll always hear
And know that he is near
When I step into the theatre
I know he will be there
On stage making us all better
As he did on earth, now from Heaven

No comments: