Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Poem #8 Putting Down Roots

Putting Down Roots
Reluctant, reticent, resilient
Roaming through the meadows of my mind
Mercy lurking and leaking out
Like a hissing radiator
That can’t quite warm up
It clanks and pops
Posing like it is going to do something
But the room remains ice cold
Hot to touch, but not moving out
From its cold metal
To brush it would melt paint
But to stand across waiting
Expectant of a tropical-like-existence
Nothing there but a grand
Performance of air
Sticky mind is bogging me down
To slide into those pipes
Clonking around, gurgling
Glue-like persistence
To stick around and around and around
The same bends and jerks
That pulls from somewhere unknown
To go down that same road
And wind up in my favorite hated haunt
To dance with ghosts that calls my name
And ask if it is still a dime
to take me round the floor again
or has the price gone up?
I fly away from them
Clawing out of that grave
To find the flowers have
Bloomed above ground after all
Spring has arrived early
The ground now unsettled
It is tilled and ready for planting


No comments: