Monday, April 11, 2016

Masks Poem #15

Thoughts are flooding my brain from long ago as I prepare to teach a mask class tomorrow. I haven’t done that in many, many years and my fondest memories of it are from me taking an intense semester of mask in graduate school. I loved the process!

Life’s Mask Class
I’ve heard people say to take it off
But never is it associated with good
When you put it on
They say it is false
Untrue, a bold lie
Not real life
But when I think
Of a time I studied
To live a full life behind
Someone else’s face
To make that form fit
Who I was then
To move uniquely
to express the thoughts
of that one apparently
frozen form
yet so free
to move, think, create
a new being
from that one false face
to become the truest visage
the newest thought
to simply react to stimuli
that surrounded me
in every surface, sinew, or singular obsession
it was a glorious thing
I can’t recapture
But I can pick up
The mask and discover
Who is waiting for me to be

No comments: