Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Poem #3 for National Poetry Month.
Slamming out a poem at 11:39 pm to beat the deadline.

 Poem #3 Untitled
The clock ticks a steady beat
As the soft curtain of rain does double time out my window
I sit on the couch thinking of a time
When rain was much warmer and inviting
We’d run and play for hours, drenched to the bone laughing
Tilting our heads up towards the sky for a drink of warm goddess nectar
That filled us with laughter and simple elegance on the spring lawns of strangers
Inside my home twenty years hence I am warm here
The rain outside is a cold wet curtain
Pulled tight against the black coal night
My neighbor’s lights are blazing yellow as a caution
A sudden stop coming or perhaps go that I don’t sense
Who are these people surrounding me?
The tick of the clock tells me I have no time to get to know them
Even though it is spring there are fall leaves still piled in my driveway
Sinking into the wet earth rotting
Crumpled, cracked to blow and stick on someone else
I want the green
I want the warm shower
I reach for the clock to unplug it
Still the rain doesn’t stop

No comments: