Wednesday, April 17, 2013


Poem #17 for National Poetry Month
A hard, hard day with people and the same night with the boy. Here is April 17, 2013 in all its glory. The other poem is just angry about stupid people and I won’t post that one, but here is the one that happened this evening.

Warning: Sudden Storm Boy Approaching
“Eh, eh, eh! WARNING! Thunder storm approaching!”
I hear it in my head
One of your favorite things to imitate
You say this usually calm but authoritative
In your little boy nasal voice
But in intonations just like the National Weather Service
You rehearse and rehearse
I hear it sometimes fifty times a day
Repeated and repeated
But it means nothing on those days
It is your soothing play
To say this warning in the morning
Sometimes when the day is clear as silk
Yet you milk it for all it is worth
I never know
There is no alarm
When you are about to harm
Not because you want to
You are put under this incredible pressure
That I can’t see or measure
It is always there
In the surrounding air
Weighing you down
There is no sound
Until you explode
From zero to sixty in under a minute
And I can’t fix it
Try as I might
I look, but it’s uncommon sight
To see what it is that caused it
I listen for the signs
I look out to see it brewing
No warning for the prime
The cloud burst is sudden
Flooding the region
A legion of black bugs
Tearing at you
You tear at me
I flee but not far enough
I want to help
I swat at the bugs not you
I doge a well thrown shoe
But am caught by an unseen upper cut
Biting through my own lip
As jaw is slammed shut by your stunt
You look as shocked as I am by it
Yet you rage
Not able to contain the wind and rain
Beating at your brain
A primal scream
The full blown hurricane tips
My hand raises
Energized on automatic defense tactics
Objects, body parts flying by
I can take no more
I must get to shore
I run away
Hoping for a break in the storm
A deep sob robbing me of strength
I sink into the bed far away from you
All is still
In the eye
Where we can see again
I feel your hand on my back
You fall like a sack void of its contents
Sobbing like a steady rain
You meet my eyes
Hold my hand
The storm’s abated
For this I have waited
Empathy is hard won
In my amazing autistic son

No comments: