Friday, April 12, 2013

Poem #12 for National poetry month!
I wrote out by hand notes on a conversation with my boy and then began to type a poem about a different moment we had tonight. This is how the brain works folks!

Time Hangs the Mighty Wind Watch
To hang in the wind as you unwind my world
Standing near the street with cars zooming up that hill
I watch as you trot, gallop, pitch, and sway in this invisible sail
Pushing you forward to a moment of all stop
Dead in the water
Not a ripple
No stir
Gazing at the ground there is an invisible bug or plant
Whose roots you examine or study as tiny bĂȘte crawls
Journeying slowly to intersect with some hole
You find fascinating
I can’t see what you’re starring at for so long
As if you could see to the core of the Earth
Silent now, but I wonder what that question about the temperature
In the layers of the Earth might be?
“What would you say if….?” Trailing off echoing in my brain
A well-worn train that often takes me no-where,
 But for you the possibilities are endless
You squat, head covered by the hood of your too-big-super-soft-sweatshirt
I touch your shoulder asking if you are alright
Startled, your head pops up
You give me a grin telling me it is ok
When I touched you, I scared you a little, but you liked it
I repeat the question looking into your blank endless blue eyes
You brighten stating, “I’m watching time go by, and I want to stay here.”
I feel this too and hear a chilling wind
 rattle in my brain as an empty attic room
that I know will be there if you are ever gone
Up you charge
Face into the mighty wind giant
Laughing at his roar
Lapping my love once more

No comments: