Sunday, April 07, 2013

Poem #7 for National Poetry Month. I wrote this after watching the film The Way Back.

Way Back Home
Wandering to an unknown destination doesn’t scare me
I used to love to get lost
Lost in the pages of a story in the early summer air
Only coming up for air when hungry
Even then, wanting to devour the current obsession
A musty, dusty volume selected carefully from the hot dim lit library
A morsel that had sat there waiting to be someone’s next meal
Thinned by time until the hungry patron sat down to the banquet
Celebrating its richness and feeling full with each turn of phrase
But desiring to indulge more with each chapter
with insationable hunger driving me on
Or losing myself in a song of birds down by the railroad tracks
Humid and tired picking luscious juicy wild black berries
Nothing tastes better and brings flocks to flutter over me
singing a song so beautiful as a secret plea to pick an offering for them and their music
Or lost with the man I love and loved so well in our early fun days,
of finding everything about each other so fascinating that the end of the journey wasn’t the point
The stories flowing and so many questions quilted into our frame of freedom to explore
And know and hold each other tight against the night and clap for nothing but being together under the stars there we looked up, up, up to get lost once more in silence
Now the wandering is dry and desert like where the waves of emotion are tense as the waves of heat rising before me and I see a long way,
but really can make out nothing that I recognize
Gone are those blissful hours of books and berries
But the birds still sing
And the stars there too
And you, the man I love brings me home
Where I wander no more
Except to remember what it was to be lost

No comments: