Friday, April 19, 2013


Poem #19 of National Poetry Month
Ok, I know my poems can lean heavily towards preachy sometimes, but tonight is really more than I want. Reminds me of the poetry I used to write all the time in high school and college. It is all because one of my Facebook friends posted one of those “answer these questions about yourself and then post for everyone to see…” type things and I did answer her questions and I couldn’t post it. Probably, because this is how I sometimes feel about those things. Innocent, I know and fun to read, and I really love that friend a lot,  but…
Turning the Color Wheel
A matter of style
In speaking or taste
Seems like such a waste of time initially
There is so much more
Than what you see in store
I feel like such a bore
When answering what I like
What color is my bike?
Do I like to fish or hike?
Even if you go more circumspect
I suspect I tailor my answers for whom
I want to listen or hope to see them
What would I rather say?
I would rather sway the hearts of those I meet
To be a much better person than me
I would want them to have more
Time, education, and wisdom
Not things or trivial fiefdoms
I would want them to find what’s common
With the common man next door
Or woman who halts them in the street
That they would stop and greet
Not looking at her defeat
But finding that moment of glory
In hearing her story
I want to be that person too
To give away my shoes
Even though it is cold and wet outside
And I have no other covering for my feet
I would go out barefoot
Despite the rain or snow
Aglow, in that my feet would get warm again soon
I have a home to run inside
And I have food to make elaborate meals
It’s a good deal and I know it
I don’t have much in Western standards
And am rich by the East
I have enough to have a style
Real style that neither defines me
Or that I deny, but I will try
To be more than a color pallet wheel
A whole person who is vibrant and can feel

No comments: