Thursday, April 18, 2013


Poem #18 for National Poetry Month
This is a bit preachy and sappy, but I kind of like it. It was something rattling in my head today as I subbed at a school as a playground monitor. I watched all the kids playing as that was my job. Most of the “special needs” kids didn’t play or weren't played with by other kids. They mostly walked the perimeter of the playground and watched other kids play.
One, tall special needs sixth grader, asked where the lady was I was subbing for as I was standing in her spot. I told him she was just gone for the day. I moved over to another spot because my being there clearly upset his routine. He was clearly autistic. I watched as no one spoke to them. I did as much as he would speak to me as I was not a part of his routine. 
So I stood there thinking about the term “special needs” as that term has always struck a chord in me as not quite what we mean.
Our Special Place
"Oh, you are special to me,"
The sting of those words
Meant the death of something beautiful
Reality hits and bites
"It must have been a blue-light special!"
She decries as the garment
Comes apart in her hands
Falling apart at the seams
Reality cheap and expensive
Special should be, well, something royal
Some hint of jewel or precious
But unbeknownst to us it has become
Something less than we desire
Reality burns and rings
Special needs child
Each child is priceless, not less
They are extra special
Extraordinary visitors
Who are worth so much more
Than we give
Or notice
They give
They notice
They reach out for us
To make a truly special place
To us both to meet
To exchange
To hold hands
To sing
Songs together
About how special
We all can be

No comments: