Sunday, April 14, 2013

Poem #14 for National Poetry Month. Inspired by Mike Purdy’s sermon today at Bethany Presbyterian Church, 1818 Queen Anne Ave. N. in Seattle, WA. The first five lines are directly phrases that stood out to me from this sermon. There was one earlier on in the sermon I wish I’d jotted down as it was very poetic. I’ll have to keep working on this one, maybe even listen to the sermon again because it feels like there is much more that I’m missing in this one.

The Emmaus Road Well-Traveled
Training our hearts
Our loving God listens
Every day moments
Deeply and passionately loved
We belong to Him
We are His
He walks behind, beside, and before us
He listens as we rage
Not noticing him gently pull ahead
To walk up a stone filled slight incline
Until we try with all our strength
Not to slip on pebbles
Rolling beneath our feet
My hand flies up
A shock of need
Grasping for some sort of balance
Waving at the person I thought was with me
Right there beside me or behind
I’m almost bloodied on the jagged rocks
I can see it coming
In my final gasp,
I am caught with a strong grasp
Above me pulling me up that rugged hill
He and I met face to face

No comments: