Tuesday, April 30, 2013


Poem #30 for April National Poetry Month.
I made it! 30 poems in 30 days! It has been actually more than 30 poems. What a ride! I’ve never tried to intentionally write that much poetry at once. It has been good discipline.
Susan Lori-Parks wrote a play a day for a year. Now, being who she is her year of plays gets produced. It was a grand experiment like this.
I know I need to edit and re-work a lot of these, but there are beginnings of some gems. What would a year produce, I wonder? Could I stand it? Keep it going? Or have enough vocabulary? I tend to repeat my favorite words. I am aware of all of this. What do you think? Yea or nay? Let me know.
Tonight you get two poems for the price of one. The first written this afternoon and the other after seeing myself tonight on film at a big movie theatre in the local indie film The Pony Man.

Pondering Polaroid
A quiet cascade through my memory
A silence so loud it hurts
How easy let go
It doesn’t flow
Here in my mind
The pictures painted bright
There is so much I have forgotten
I reach for the photos
I have misplaced
Shuffling through the same stack
Getting lost in story
The sound of the train whistle
 Out back of my home
Between the garden and the airport
On the edge of that farming sleepy town
The train sliced through
Clickity-clack high pitched announcement
That marked the day into sections
So sweet like an orange peeled
Juicy and ready to cut those hazy
Summer days playing on railroad tracks
Smelling the sticky tar
Bubbling up from treated wood slats
Hopping from one to one to one
Walking for hours trying to outrun the distance
Lying on my back in a dark field
The cold grass against my shoulders
A bit nippy in September’s late kiss goodbye
 to August’s free form passion
Looking for stars or something familiar
Singing to the Heavens
Waiting for them to whisper back
Tasting blood trickling down
The side of my head banged against
The steering wheel
Lost staggering alone on an Iowa dirt road
Stunned seeing the ditched pitch
Of a car curled up like a yellow bean bug
Waiting to devour the whole plant
When a dust cloud pulls up
Out steps a flannel clad knight
Asking if I’m ok
He takes me back to town
In a rattle-trap sea sludge green truck
on a sienna brown road
Pulling us towards town
out of the wild lonely flat lands
These small unspecific adventures
trapping solace and sculptures of a place
A marker between pages of adventure
stretching out my probability
To capture that perfect sunset
photographed on my cortex
in a distinct distant melody
I sing to remember
Humming snatches
Grabbing notes
Floating euphoric in snapshots of home

First Screening
Surreal seeing myself on the silver screen
I was there and then gone
Uttering a few lines
A pained look with joy
Is that what I look like?
I look at her
And I do like what I see
Heavy, but pretty
Country and city
Finding something in this itty bitty part
My life mimics the art
It’s a start
Performing a tiny role
Written for me
That I thought,”Why not?”
I get to be on the spot
In the light
Big emotions in a miniscule moment
A pause of dialogue in the montage
That’s me full and free

No comments: