Thursday, April 25, 2013


Poem #25 of National Poetry Month. Maybe I’ve watched too many old Star Trek: The Next Generation this month and hearing that opening sequence has got me thinking. I miss being in plays or having regular contact with theatre. It is just a different season of life for me now as I take care of family and home. I still get my plays out there as a playwright, but it is hard to wait for someone to play with at times. Even getting plays read by people that could produce them seems harder somehow in moments like this. It is like losing the thing that keeps me going. I feel a little woozy when I think all that needs to get done to do what I want to be doing and this is one of those moments, I think.

Star Treks
Where has my heart gone?
It is there pumping
Doing its job
But my heart of hearts
Not the love I have
For my most beloved
That I cherish daily
Or the blood ties
That harbors me
In a safe pride
Not the love of
Those that surround
Me like weeds, forests, or flowers
No, the love I put my time
Where the sands would fall
And burn a thousand moments
The hourglass overturned
And it seemed like a blink of an eye
The passion fueled for one conversation
over a single word, look, or nuance
Building whole themes out of nothing
A bit of cloth, well placed sighs,
Or a slight flirt flashed at the right moment
that the entire room would focus
and breathe together longing to know
would she or won’t she?
Wanting to know myself
What the outcome would be
Bringing together a group
To do what it sounds like
Children do it all the time
They pour themselves into worlds
 so filled with mystique
I miss that compliment to my being
Replete with all its challenge
A rocket to stardust
I know my heart is still there
Wandering the stars
My love lives in the moonbeams
the planets or constellations
That map out distant galaxies of dreams
Beam me to the surface
Of a smaller planet
I’ll begin exploring there
To seek out that new life
Where I have gone before

No comments: