Wednesday, April 24, 2013


Poem #24
Construction Season
“Do I push people away?”
Is what I asked him today
He smiled in his coy
“What do I say to her?” way
“I haven’t gone anywhere yet.”
“Yet? You have plans?” I quip
“No, I’m not going anywhere.”
He states in all seriousness
He hears my concerns
The same ones I’ve had
The same pulling weight
That sometimes drowns
The cheers of sideline
Sunshine runners that
Dart in and out of my life
Telling me “I’m awesome”
But the others,
 I think are lurking at my windows
Watching me in extreme detail
Giving scores as if cleaning my kitchen were an Olympic sport
I feel like the scaffolding will never come down
And I’m this unfinished project with old materials
Patching the same old holes
Trying to keep out the acid rain
That eats away that one spot
Leaking through to my underground river
That feeds everything that grows
Curling its toes up before there is fruit
Because the water is poisoned
He listens and says nothing to this
Holds my hand keeping me steady
Looking into my eyes
He knows, there is more to me
I see the rain stop
The garden grow
I will make those phone calls
I will carry on
My building is open for business

No comments: