Saturday, April 26, 2014

Sharp moment....

I wrote this just after midnight last night. I was about to sign off for the night and I decided to check on someone on Facebook. My feed came up right away as it always does and a status update of someone that posts all the time was first in line. He is an actual real-time friend and I wanted to see what was up. What he wrote was mixed in that it was a hard memory mixed with reason to praise that wasn't were he was a year ago now. I had heard a bit of the story before, but this time it was the whole thing. It struck me hard in the space I was all day back in my own thoughts about past events. I was happy for him, but sad for me and wrote this poem trying to convey how I felt. Many hours have gone by since I wrote this and I'm feeling much better now, but here is the poem.
Footpath
Standing on the edge
My toes hanging off
I look down, further than I’ve ever been
I cough and nearly topple into the cavern
Smooth straight down
No secret holding up these walls
It is written on my face
In my eyes
On my breath
I remember each step that brought me here
To ride that slide to the edge of the envelope
I pushed and punched my way through
Stopping before the fall
Just short of breaking all
I take a deep breath in and wiggle those toes
Those hang so far into nothingness
No foothold
No branch to catch on the way down
Just straight to the bottom, Baby,
I’m still here looking before I leap
Looking for the way out
It is uphill going back
And empty going forward
I know I cannot fly
I cannot get over this chasm
I wait, looking at my feet
They are gripped to the sandy soil
So small and claw-like
Curved and clutching
I must wiggle those toes some more
To feel the blood pump
Up to my heart
Up to my brain
To find a way out
I see it now
A narrow path
To my right
I cannot see around the corner
But I will go
Wiggle once more
Say goodbye to the abyss

And find out what lies ahead

No comments: