Friday, April 18, 2014

Running with Peter on Good Friday...

April 18, 2014
Today all day I was thinking about Peter and his denial of Christ in the events of Good Friday. In Matthew 26 Jesus tells Peter to his face that Peter will deny even knowing Christ before the night was out. And it happens just as Jesus said. Peter instantly regretful, weeps about it.
It really is Maundy Thursday this incident happens (or symbolically happens as we don’t know it was actually a Thursday), but I think about what Peter is weighed down with as Jesus says, “It is finished” and what Friday night was like for him.
Cock’s Third Cry
Fire light flickers
Fog rolls sickens
Night deepens fills
Cut open it spills
My insides out.
Now no doubt
But then, then I sinned
Turning away,
Spinned dizzy with grief
I wanted relief
Had none
I run
Beyond the pale
Footsteps echoing fail
Undone sharp shorn
Wish I hadn’t been born
What have I done?
I gave up the one
I had sworn to protect
A moment of neglect
To save myself
Putting honor on the shelf
Stopping, panting hard
I’ve run very far
I fall down
Where I was bound
I do not know
Looking up I see
Him not me.
On this hillside he died
This I cannot deny
Crusted crab of grief
Crawls to a seat
Here beneath the cross
I live his loss
Waiting for morning light

To take back this wretched night

No comments: