Monday, April 07, 2014

Second Day of Spring Break (so sayeth the Boy)

April 7, 2014
I went with the Boy down to the Seattle Center today on the monorail. We spent a good hour or more at the fountain. I think it was more as I lost track of time just watching him circle round the very top at first and he was a constant in a universe that was swirling around him. Then the sun got super bright and there were rainbows everywhere! He got much closer in then. He was cautious at first and then getting pretty impressively wet. He was so happy today and that is what I tried to capture in this poem. I may take another run at it later, but for now.
 Big Splash Dancing
“I was chasing rainbows and got drenched!”
He yells to me gleefully as I sit on a bench
He’s chasing fractured light
Scattered, mystical, bright
He’s nearly tingling with delight
As the fountain sings
Shooting water like mattress springs
Children that bounce and ping
To the shock of freezing wet
Not the liquid sunshine they usually get
But dirigible dew drops dunking them
“The Big Splash” invites fun
From the tiniest tots to kissing couples







They move their muscles
Dancing in the determined drench
An afternoon well spent



No comments: