Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter 2014

I've been trying hard to put into poetry something wonderful I witnessed today at church, but can't yet. I'll keep at trying as I had a beginning sentence that slipped away today. Lesson here is to capture these things and write them in the moment. Here are 3 poems that came as from fragments of the day. Not quite expressing how I want to say it, but a start.

Ringing in a New Dawn
Today it was supposed to rain and it didn’t
There was blue sky and sunshine
Today we made careful plans not to be late
We were late as so many times before
Today it was predicted we wouldn’t find a seat if late
We found one and then were moved to an even better one
Today we thought it would be a good service
It was better as we were surprised by God’s infinite grace
Today we thought no one would come to dinner
You came and we laughed again
Today we usually make holiday meals complex
But we made it delicious yet simple
Today was supposed to be the same as last year
But last year was left behind and we made a new day today

What is resurrection?
It is insurrection?
Pilgrims that claim
A bombing in His name
Is it new reputation?
Reimaging or station?
To resurrect the body from cold
Warming up the eternal soul
It is only one time
This is the spine
Jesus was raised from the dead
Grave clothes left on his bed
He burst from the tomb
He is coming back soon
Soon is a relative term
It makes some squirm
I have learned to wait
A constant state
He took my place
So I might see his face

Patty Cake
I first saw a baby boy
You so filled with joy!
Telling all you knew
He was growing too
Then I didn’t see you at all
The boy was growing tall
I’d glimpse him from time to time
Wondering what made him so fine?
To you, I didn’t know he had changed
To me, I saw so little, but a new bounce in him
Every ounce of him was something I couldn’t name
Then I had a baby boy
I was so filled with joy!
I was telling you too
You looked a bit unglued
No matter, I thought you were scattered
Absorbed in so many moments and your son
I thought you needed more fun
I didn’t know it weighed a ton
My baby grew
The time flew
I now stunned
Missing his fun
Your boy, I would describe
As eyes missing a vibe
I know that missed cue
To you I flew
We held a bond
In this growing pond
A secret language between you and me
It had come to rest exacting a fee
From our children we cherish
Fearing they would perish
Without hope
Without a vote
Lacking everything
In our beings
We hold hands
Across this span

Molding them 
into stronger men

No comments: