Monday, April 14, 2014

Palm Sunday

Palms of Broken Certainty
I broke off a palm branch
Laying a soft carpet
For a weather worn baby donkey
Holding a man
Excitement built up till joy
Dammed up broke loose
Exploding inside and out
I ripped off another branch
Waving wildly now,
Joining in the celebration
Of something I wasn’t even sure of
Encouraged by the crowd
To belong to this swell
Riding into the city gates
Focused on the man, Jesus
Looking so ridiculous
On a tiny burrow
That seemed borrowed
Nearly broken down
Unsure of its part
In this triumphant entrance
Just a man riding a donkey
I grab a third branch
I am shoved to the front
Jesus looks at me
I bow and reach up
Offering him the broken branch
To tread upon
He pulls the branch
Raising me to stand
“Walk with me,” he says

I do, even though, I don’t know how

No comments: