Friday, April 25, 2014

Happy Arbor Day!

My son told me it was Arbor Day today. I didn't even notice. So he thought we should plant a tree. I thought this was an excellent idea, so we sought one and bought one. Nothing else on my mind, so why not?

Red Leaves in Spring
Maybe I’m more like a tree
I don’t think about what trees do
They are there
Cleaning the air
So my son says
They are important
When he puts it that way,
I agree and then think about
How vital they are to me
They feed my eyes
Restful. The trees soothe
My whole being just seeing
All of them in rows
Wound in the woods
Wandering free among the trees
They shelter me and so many
I breathe deeper the further I walk into
Great groves of them standing firm
Finding my heart in them as they sway
To the raw rhythms of the earth
The trees form a choir of comfort
A gang of glorious perched preachers
Whispering scripture’s very essence
Witnessing of the Almighty’s hand
In each sapling they sing
A song so simple and sweet
They are there
Do we notice?
Planted a tree today

And it felt good



No comments: