Saturday, April 18, 2015

Two Sides of a Coin NaPoWriMo #23 & #24

The Power Filled Ounces
What is the true measure of kindness?
I’ve heard an ounce used
In our blindness we attempt to weight it
How can you give heaviness to something that lifts burdens?
Quantify the quality that is unmeasured?
We cannot buy forgiveness nor the mercy handed
In the hand slipped into a frightened child’s
The tears wiped by the one who discovers the long abandoned
Why not a pound or a ton or a mega millions for measure?
There is nothing that can compare
It is so very rare
True kindness moves
Stone hearts
Unmovable mountains
And fills up deep pits
Where we have thrown hope to it’s death
Kindness is the ladder up
To the fresh air
Blue sky
Sunshine
In an endless field
That wakes us to possibility
On the distant and distinct horizon
Fixing our eye
On love waiting there

Night Sediment
Settling in at night
I fear the fight
Within the walls
Pasted up like stalls
Segmenting my thoughts
My binges and boughts
Where I trot out that list
That in the morning fades like mist
The “oughts”, “caughts”, and “nots”
Zeroing in on that spot
Of self-doubt and pity
That isn’t at all pretty
It sings me to sleep
with a weary song
that makes me weep
And I feel so wrong
Living the way I do
Defending the few
habits or practices
that I cling to
Knowing that I “could”, “would”, and “should”
but I don’t
I probably won’t
But I check off those same boxes
Digging in my pockets
Cataloging it all again
To my imaginary friend
That stays up with me
To twist my “chi”
Into knots
Tomorrow I will unlock
That box

And throw away the key

No comments: