Sunday, April 19, 2015

Three very different parts of my day today...NaPoWriMo #25, #26. & #27

Leftover Over Over
Fuzzy, fruity, fermented feet
Of something I wouldn’t want to eat
It lives in the back of the shelf
I probably put it there myself
I wasn’t looking for it
But it found me
Green and white hair waving
Like it could live once more
But quite dead
It used to be red
And rather delicious
I made it to be nutritious
But now it is not
Throwing it out
So as not to shock
Those rooting, tooting at midnight
For a snack or two
By then it would be blue
Or it could turn to goo
Out it must go
Even though
It could almost say “hello”

Oklahoma City News 1995
I was standing in my sunny white kitchen
The clock tick tocked almost two
I had just turned the radio on
When flashed the news
A bomb had gone off
A truck or maybe two
Had struck a downtown building
All I heard is that it blew
I sat down in disbelief
Hearing, but not
The details and colors
Of a state in shock
Oklahoma was far away
So many people
So many graves
I couldn’t think of anyone I knew
That could be there too
Still I sickened to think
Of our country on the brink
Of violent outbursts so jarring
This was more than alarming
So they were blown to bits
That was the crux of it
The cost of this loss
Was the tipping place
It hurried the hate a pace
From doing nothing but shouting
To murder where there is crowding
Taking the innocent
To drown
Down below
Reach by this breach
Of decency and sense
It takes just a pinch
And give not an inch
Signing humanity’s death
Hate grabs a pound of flesh

Family Fare
Children are commanded to obey
If only parents had more sway
At times we do
And it is true
We have the upper hand
Lines drawn in the sand
Is something that pushes a child the other way
And still it is something we parents say
To try to change something that hurts
To take away “little miss” or “junior’s” perks
It gets muddled and complex
We all wish we had the text
To follow and study
So it wouldn’t be so muddy
Children want parents to be proud
And parents love to shout aloud
Praises of their little ones
For every single thing they’ve done
And still we turn it around on each other
It is the same with father and mother
Looking for excuses to love
Those who are part of our fold
Parents take hands with child
By smoothing out strife to mild
To hold hands in mutual honor
And do this before you’re a goner
Life is shorter than we think
Bring it all to your sink
And wash away the dust of resentment
Bask in the clean surface of contentment
Listening and strong guiding
With both parties abiding

No comments: