Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Observations are a very good place to start…NaPoWriMo #36

I had nothing in my head tonight to write about, so I looked around my office and just started typing. It is half way a blog post and half way a poem. Grrr...now past midnight tweaking pictures even though this is my April 28th poem.

 My Son’s Present Art

Little drawings from little hands litter my office
They are time capsules that help me escape the rocket fueled present
That launches from the now into the space unknown to planet future
A pastel flower garden where the flowers all look like small suns
Was given as a first present on a Mother’s Day
My boy had always loved to give me flowers
Many hours that year we had spent planting and digging
He beamed with such pride to give me something
He had painted and knew I would love












A fiery furnace of an exciting Sunday School lesson
Is scribbled and so earnest on my cabinet door
I remember the flood of detail my boy tried to tell me
The words he could get out were about the fire and the angel
If there was no picture, I wouldn’t have understood his story
I looked at it with him and we went through it together
Finger painted hand prints from a desperate summer’s day

We were rained inside scratching for something more to do
My son didn’t want to do anything, but he let me take his hand
and put it in the paint then to the paper
He smiled, but wouldn’t do it on his own
He would hold his hand hovering there
Daring me to take it and place it just so

A computer printed, but hand drawn birthday card
That is a portrait of me with a Hershey’s kiss floating nearby
He presented it with a kiss and hug
So proud he and his father had kept this surprise a secret
They had pulled it off and then the next year I wanted a card,
But was told by my son, “no”
This helps me to know to not expect,
But to wait for what he truly wants to give

A coffee can decorated with shaky interpretations

Of butterflies and bees now houses a yellow miniature rose
We planted a sunflower in it that year you gave it to me
And that flower quickly outgrew our humble can
We planted it in the garden
Where it bloomed most of the summer that year
And now we include a few tall sunflowers every year

A tissue paper heart window that clearly
Someone else helped those little hands make
I found it shoved in his backpack and smiled
No presentation to me, nothing special
Just a memento of the season
But a heart with my son’s name had to go on my wall
As he has my heart in so many ways

The paper sack frog that hangs on the mantle

Is so faded from enduring at least three years now
I go to take it down and I can’t
There is something that leaps to my throat
When I touch that darned pop eyed faded frog
That he never played with
and I’m sure someone else cut out
as his scissor skills are shaky still
it is something about it
holding out it’s little hands
wanting to embrace everyone
that warms me to see
wondering if someday he
could leap forward
and run at life
like this little frog
there are signs
and simple maps
that bear his hand too
all pointing at what he is
and can be
this is his art
this is his heart
this is a great start





No comments: