Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Thinking of where I grew up...NaPoWriMo #30

My husband and I were talking about the Ozarks today. A friend that lives near there in my home state of Missouri posted a picture of the Mississippi River. It kept me thinking about my favorite times at home and how I didn’t appreciate them until I moved away from home. I often miss the charm of the Ozarks, the people, the rivers, and seemingly simple pleasures of many church gatherings. River parties in the summer were nearly every week and such happy moments in my memory. I miss that wild and wonderful spot in this world I used to call home. Now my heart is planted here, but it does linger in memories at times too.

River Runs Homeward

Wonder working power of the pull
In the center of your being
Tugging on a tender thread
Attaching you to home
Of lazy water swim parties that are
Murky mud bottom smooth rocks
Cold shocks welcomed
In blister hot summer steaminess
Jumping from high rocks
Into blue green heaven
Frog kicking up for air
Breaking the surface
To focus on other faces
Already bobbing beside you
The smell of the wood fire on shore
Built by the ones
Most concerned we eat soon
Calling from the campsite
To us water rats
Who while away the time
Splashing each other silly
Snorting in river water by the bucketful
Staying down where the air is sweet
Exploring crevices and tiny caves
Jumping at everything that might be a snake
Until one is spotted
They are fast swimmers
One bite could be deadly
It doesn’t see us
No one moves
Bang! Off goes the gun
Killing it dead
And we return to our revelry
Someone whistles telling us “time to eat”
We bow our heads and our pastor says blessing
We lunge for sticks
Poking on hot dogs
Finding your spot to roast it
Seeing it blacken blistered perfection
Tearing into it
Nothing ever tasted so good
Sitting round the fire
As twilight draws us close
To sing one after another
Songs everyone knows
Not a word said
But notes floating
Like the sparks
Popped from logs
Consumed in laughter
Until the stars look down
Telling us it is time
To wish and dream
Homeward once more
We pile eight to a truck bed
And convoy up the steep path
Not a word said
Leaning on each other
For warmth in the chill night’s edge
Gathering speed on the highway
We are dropped one by one
To where we call home
Never realizing
That is where we just came from

No comments: