Sunday, April 12, 2015

Missing Daddy....NaPoWriMo #16

My Dad is 90 now and lives many states away. I don't get to see him often in person. Sometimes something my son does strikes a note within me that I remember sitting on his lap and spending a quick moment with him. 

Holding Hands

He traces my fingers
As I remember doing with my father
My hands small and scarred
With kitchen mishaps
He asks about each mark
The colors varied,
I had not noticed
As they are all old wounds
To me blending in the same
When I look at them
But he asks for the story
Of each noticing
My son and Dad a few years ago
The shape and shade
Wondering out loud
The topography and type
When and how
Wanting the details
As if he were memorizing
Me piece by piece
Starting with my hands
And the stories contained
Within them
I think back to my father’s
Giant sausage fingers
The stiff looking knuckles
But knowing they performed
The most delicate of surgeries
Wondering how could
Such thick lumbering phalanges
Fly through intricate operations
To make people all better
I felt the strength
Of his grasp
And I asked for stories
In his many marks
But he didn’t remember any
His memories were about others
And places and things or diseases
He paid no attention to what
Was stamped on his skin
As time had faded it all
He did let me hold his hand
My tiny girl hand
Holding the giant’s
Warm and comforting
My son’s hand is almost the size of mine
He slips his hand into mine
In unexpected moments
Wanting reassurance
Of the familiar
Our story
Laced fingers strong
In knowing the landscape
Not holding onto mythical
Large men in the sky
Though, if I get to hold
That giant’s hand again
I will not hesitate
To lace fingers with him
And tell him my story
Not of the scars contained
But show him the strength of my fingers
To hold on
To his myth and magnificence
As my father
Who formed a small part of my hands
and my son’s hands
Entwining our stories

No comments: