Friday, April 10, 2015

Personal Stories....NaPoWriMo #13 & #14

Tonight we went to Taproot Theatre Company’s powerful rendition of the play “The Best of Enemies” which was about CP Ellis and Ann Atwater 1968. The very personal story of two people that hated each other and what they stood for to each other and how they came together. It is a great story of grace. 
The other thing on my mind all day was that it was “National Sibling Day” and lots of people were praising their siblings. I love my sisters, but I couldn’t post as it feels too lopsided or lost to not have my brothers there too. I miss them all. So here are two poems recounting today.

Word
It’s all there in black and white
Is what we say to avoid a fight
To prove we are so very right
It was written down
For everyone to see
It is the same for you and me
Without the white paper
There is nothing for the ink to be upon
It stays liquid forming no words
The paper is blank also with nothing to say
Together they make hay in sunshine and rain
Through goodness and pain
They form a communication no one dare dispute
The black becomes the words written down
So they won’t disappear, but can be studied
Taken to heart, memorized and immortalized
The white is the vessel that is filled
Being a blanket wrapped around
Soaking up the emotions spilled
And putting them into precious books
That merits a second look
At history and change
Things rearrange
Circumstances stamps us down
Words can raise us up
It’s all here in black and white
We go into the night
To raise each other up
Out of poverty
Reaching down from privilege
To walk on the same road
Printing page after page
In a new history together
Let’s put it down in black and white

Lost Siblings
Five minus two
Is a statement I’ll never get used to
Someday it will be less
But for now, I confess
I’m not comfortable with the outcome
All my life I’ve said
I have two sisters and two brothers
I am the youngest
There is no other among us
But now my brothers are gone
It has been so long
For the one
I thought I could be done
Grieving and thinking of him still here
Cancer is something to fear
And fight with all our might
As it has touched this family
With taking the one
And then the other one
Went because of it kinda too
He missed his brother so
He had to go
And so he did
When we were kids
They went everywhere together
They were “the boys”
We were “the girls”
The boys were a unit
And when that broke apart
It did seem broken
It certainly broke our hearts
And so the boys are in Heaven now
I don’t know how “the girls” go on
But we do
We hope we don’t get cancer too
Or die of broken hearts
We go on as sisters
With no brothers
Just each other
Afraid to hang on too tight
That we might squeeze the life out of each other
But we aren’t tight
We don’t really fight
We are out of sight of each other
We miss our mother too, who is gone
For all things family
It is hard to mourn
The trio formed
Hardly sings together anymore

No comments: