Saturday, April 07, 2018

NaPoWriMo: #9 Finding Peace & #10 My son's hair


The end of Spring Break and a week past Easter, I find myself in between longing for what was and what is. Also spending all day with my son’s hair whipped in my face made me think about his new motto of “I’m never cutting my hair again” and what that might really mean for his future and mine.
 
Peaceful Shores
Peace be with you
And go before you
And be behind you
In all that you do
“How is standing up to my knees
In troubled water peaceful?” I question.
“But it is only to your knees”
It could recede,”
I hear him say.
“It could rise!”
“And then where would I be?”
“You can swim?”
“Yes, but if there is no land?”
He smiles, “Yes, what then?”
“I cry for help?”
“Yes, peace to keep swimming,
Though you don’t see the shore,
It is there.”



My Little Samson (Hairbear)
I can’t see your face
For the veil you have grown
That hides your thoughts
While you are at home

It covers you as you tilt away
Spinning round an orbit
You rocket out of sight
Beneath that hair
To shelter your flights
Of fancy and foreign exploring
It is me you are ignoring
Finding a new curious corner
That I am not privy to
You find it a way
To control your gaze
Peeking out with one eye
Seeing if I’m watching
What you do
It is like a reflector shield up
And I can’t see through it

I tell myself this too is a phase
And I hope won’t get too much praise
Because then you will pursue it
As a lifelong thing
That could sting
Your hair is beautiful
Take care of it
So it won’t look pitiful
When I am gone
Maybe it will keep you strong
As you curtain away your thoughts
From others that aren’t your Mom




No comments: