Wednesday, April 18, 2018

NaPoWriMo: #22 & #23 Disabilities and Butterflies


This rambling poem came from watching a news article about a local company called Provail that helps those with disabilities get jobs. They are a great organization that helps so many. I really like that society is changing in that we are looking to give people work to do not just setting them aside anymore----at least more people are getting jobs. We still have a ways to go!

Check out the link on the title of the first poem as it is an interesting idea I stumbled across too of things I wonder about the Lewis Carol story. The tie-in to disability is interesting. 

It also reminded me of a guy I once met when I was working as an Easter bunny photo booth in a mall. Even though I had a son on the spectrum and I met this guy that had some of the same obsessions that my boy did at the time, I kept him at arm’s length. I found out soon after his birthday party that he died. I felt horrible for not going to the party. He was a kind guy that always made me laugh. Anyway….

The other poem in the same vein is because our Boy is raising butterflies at school. It is the school’s scheme to keep him coming daily to check on the caterpillars, and it is working brilliantly. He is very excited about his butterflies!

Alice Down the Disability Rabbit Hole
Tipped in gold
The tops of treasure troves
And kings and queens
Bow down unseen
The workers are invisible
The way indivisible
With liberty and justice for all
Unless you are small
Way down on the scale
Holding mop and pail
You work very hard
Some think you’re scarred
But you show up
With so much you cope
The day to day
Makes you okay
Better than most
Along you float
Someone said you’d never
Still you endeavor
To persevere
You are revered
Not for whom you aren’t
But for where you start
See what you can do
Away from the zoo
That is what people tell you
They don’t have one clue
What you are at heart
I am ashamed to say
One day, I turned away
From your adult counter-self
I still recognize
In his eyes was little boy—you
I was friendly and polite
But he wanted the right
To really be a friend
I was a dope
He invited me to his party
I said, like a smarty,
That I “might” come
And wouldn’t tell him where I’m from
Least he show up on my doorstep
Later I learned news and wept
That he died as I slept
Another friend showed up to his party
I had no idea
What that meant
It changed my tune
When he died so soon
Without my notice
Just a mop and pail
He could have been in jail
Or been institutionalized
I didn’t realize
Working as hard as he did
He wouldn’t have another bid
At a friend
I didn’t bend
But you can
Give all a hand up,
Not just clink into a little cup
Walking away abrupt
Stay, give, sway,
A friend, a job, a trade,
Thanks for today


Butterfly Dreams

A worm with hair

You pause to care
As they wriggle
You giggle
Always looking up
From that capture cup
Where they writhe
Crawling around, collide
You tell me their story
And how they will glory
In the summer’s plants
In great fields with expanse
How their children will have children
You have all this filled in
Your mind going over every detail
Making sure they aren’t frail
You plan how to feed
Raise their plants from seed
You have decreed all you’ll need
To care for these painted ladies
And how soon they’ll encase
In a cotton-spun race
Themselves all bound
Until wings are found
Inside formed and adorned
Weeks later they are born
Ripping down the shroud
Not making one sound
Wings unfurled
Open to the world
You are delighted
With these caterpillars undaunted
Those grow daily like you do
My little Boo
I get as much joy
Seeing my little boy
Crawl, cocoon, to encase someday, I trust,
To emerge with wings and bust
Out to fly in a garden of delights
With his own children
Or his own million
A beautiful butterfly
My little guy
Butterfly, take to the sky
Fly away home!






No comments: