Thursday, April 12, 2018

NaPoWriMo: #17 Tonight's Dinner Inspired Me


I would have taken a picture of them, but I was too hungry! Tonight’s dinner was good!

Fresh Crab Cakes
The half-light hovers on the horizon
Sinking me down
With the sun slinking over the mountains
A purple haze invades my brain
Pounding out the weather of my day
cracking shells unlike gulls
I wield a mallet with no malice
but relax in the steady therapy
of pounding hard to win sweet sea treasure
white and pink red clean looking meat
While I separate out 
sweet treat from hard shell 
to cover in spices
Celery, onions, basil, garlic, old bay spice
Egg, tabasco, and breadcrumbs
The sizzle pop of oil warming
I mush and squash the stuff
To form fat ovals
Like new deep ocean creatures
That they are made from
Gently I lay them down
To be surrounded by bubbles
Which transform them to golden brown
Then I lift them to turn over
And do the other side
I smell the anticipation
The spices wake me
From my half slumber
Infused with new energy
I slip them from the scalding liquid
Onto the pristine quiet paper towel to drain
Patting them down
As if they were freshly showered babes
Given into my care

No comments: