Tuesday, April 17, 2018

NaPoWriMo: #21 an Ode for Mr. Kassell...RIP


If you hadn’t heard Carl Kasell passed away today at the age of 84. I didn’t know him personally, but it sometimes felt like it as he seemed so personable on the airwaves. This ode is for him.
 
Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me!

When you are known for your voice,
You don’t have a choice,
But to be a guy in radio
Though you wanted to be
On the airwaves free
Someone once said
you could be an actor
You did theatre,
but felt compact there
Your voice was warm honey
on a soft Saturday morning scone
that is where you made money
and you were at home
I always wanted your voice
As a choice on my phone
I dialed in but never did win
A time where you’d pin
Me down with some joke
I’d probably have choked
To know it was you
When you retired
You were so admired
But we wanted you to stay!
I didn’t know it was because
The thing you loved went away
Your wit, your humor,
It was rumored
You had lost
I didn’t know the cost
That your brain was faded
Became something hated
Because Alzheimer’s made it cave
A landslide from the inside
The realization made me cry
For your joy and delight
Extinguished by such night!
I couldn’t grasp
Imagining your gasps
Of losing the sounds of words
People’s faces flying from you like birds
Who look down from branches so high
Your eyes couldn’t spy
To pry names or places
Or where you’d met
Our oasis is the radio!
You were recorded
We’ll never be bored with
Knowing we can meet you there
As none can compare
You sometimes laid us bare
Consider a castle for a king
Carl, your death stings
Wait, wait, don’t tell me…
No more answering machines


No comments: