Wednesday, April 03, 2024

 Poem #3: Today I was in my teacher planning period when the phone rang and to my surprise, it was a call from a student who had been absent for a week. She is in the hospital and I hope she gets better soon.

 

Calling Out

 The sharp ring of the phone

Shatters the illusion I’m at home

Not, back at work stealing a moment

To shake the concrete out of my zone

“Hello? This is…”

The other voice, a kid

I know the tone

Yet she sounds so alone

She cries and says how good to hear

Someone from her atmosphere

That doesn’t think she’s on another planet

And can recognize

Her sick bed disguises

Where she is stuck

Without her usual luck

She’s landed in the hospital

And she knows she sounds pitiful

As she is alone

She is glad to hear me on the phone

At least or at best

A conquest is her behest

But she is scared

Frozen and bared

Up in her head

While she lies in bed

Not wanting to be dead

Wishing for better food

Swearing she’ll get a better attitude

“Will you come visit?”

“Do you know who this is?”

“I do, “ reassuring my student

I was going to call your Mom to be prudent

And see what had transpired

I know I hadn’t been fired

From teaching my favorite student

I’ve missed your energy and synergy

Keeping third period together

They flock to you, birds of a feather

She laughs on the other end

Knowing I’m giving it a spin

To help her dry her tears

And the many fears

She says a few more things

Rewinding her internal spring

She says she can go to sleep

Not having to count sheep

She just needed a friendly voice

Mine was her choice

To show she,

We are not alone

No comments: