Thursday, April 04, 2019

Poem #4: For Gregory Magyar


My friend Gregory Magyar, who moved to Texas many years ago, died today. Even though we weren’t close anymore, we stayed in touch and I spoke to him a couple of times in the past few years as he was always a faithful reference for me for jobs.

Whenever we spoke it was like time hadn’t gone by since we’d last spoken. He was like that with everyone. He collected people and was so generous. He collected me at a time I was at my lowest thinking of giving up theatre and he helped me get back to it as a stronger person. So many will miss him and I admit I have for a long time. I am heartbroken as he is another incredible person gone way, way too soon from this world.

I wish I had better words for this moment, but words fail me when I can't hardly take in the information that someone I love is gone. We spent so many hours in his office just "shooting the breeze" mostly about the theatre world we loved so very much. He was passionate about so many things tossing out opinions and telling me how cool penguins are and telling me some story that would always make me laugh. He brought a lot of mirth to my life! Goodbye, Gregory...

Struck Down on a Thursday
I went to see a big hole in the ground today
Now there is a huge hole in my heart
Another piece carved out
Because another person I adored
Has been pulled away suddenly
It is like the meteor that hits
And crushes everything flat
Killing anything under it
No one can dig down
To even find the bones
As they are pulverized
Vaporized by the impact
That is how I feel
Now that you are gone
I am not here
I am in the past
Fishing around for scraps
Of time spent talking, planning,
Plotting and listening
Talking of oh so important plans
In that moment
Often it is stupid stuff
That floats before my eyes in detail
Making me weep and laugh
Hearing your hearty chuckle
That dwindled down into the best giggle
As your eyes danced
Wiping away tears of mirth
Forgetting what was so important
To celebrate the mundane
For hours on end
Just because we were friends








No comments: