Monday, April 22, 2019

NaPoWriMo: #18 Remembering Ozark Childhood Pleasures....


Ozark After Service Playground

I’d ramble though the cemetery
Where the grass was soft
Still filled with dew
At noon on a Sunday afternoon
Skipping through the headstones
Playing tag and studying
What people die of
Or where they were from
Or speculating where they went to
By the small clues
On worn out tombs
That were our play things
Not really knowing the folk
That smoked and choked
Their way into these graves
We thought them snug as bugs in a rug
Dug down deep
Not scary or strange
Just sitting on stones
Letting the wind blow
My ringlets swinging like bells
As the church would toll in time
It rang to call me in
From a grand day of pasture play
Tattling to all saying,
“It is time to go little girl.
Out from those that have gone
into the car with those bound in bond.
Safe with your family,
waving bye to friends
That played with you today.”
Then bumping over the dirt path
Finally, out onto the country blacktop
Like a hot bath the heat would cook us alive
Till I begged to open the car window
To the wide world
In the stiff wild wind whistling by
I’d stick out my head
Sucking in the summer salty seeds
That stuck to me like glue
Undoing the Sunday best
Rearranging frilly buttons and bows
To hear the bees buzz
In my ears as we sped
further down the road
pointed towards home




No comments: