Monday, April 08, 2019

NaWrPoMo: #5, #6, & #7 Route 66, Talking all night, and Vacations


Poem #5, #6, & #7—Yes, I’ve skipped a few days as I’ve been on the road now, but we are back home. The poems should flow daily now that I’m not traveling.

66 Mother Road Kicks
A boy studies the Arizona map
And it is as lightening zaps
His brain a tingle
As he mingles
Facts and road descriptions
With questions and fictions
Finding more and more to ask
As he kicks back
Looking out the window
On this spring furlough
Grandma takes the wheel
Her partnership with him is another appeal
On this road adventure
Having her to himself was the clencher
They sped past well known towns
Because they knew they’d circle back around
First stop Ash Fork where she once taught
By the side of the road there were native clay pots
Seligman there were some old stands
Now hollow and empty spread across the land
Peach Springs sounded refreshing
But he said there wasn’t anything there eye catching
Valentine could have been full of loves
He heard nothing but the coo of morning doves
Hackberry sounded juicy to me
It was still as empty as could be
Kingman was their overnight stop
The essential road motel couldn’t be topped
The trip picked up as they went on
Lake Havasu City held a huge pond
They went back and forth on the London Bridge
That was suspended over a water filled ridge
Oatman was full of borros
To be ridden over the dust filled furrows
They crossed over to Needles, California briefly
He was excited to hit another state chiefly
Back through Williams, Winona, and Two Guns,
Humming along they had lots of fun,
Talking of politics, modern tricksters galore,
Never stopping at any stores,
That didn’t matter when he went to Winslow,
Where the train crossed the tracks rather slow,
There was a big hole there to see,
As that is where the big meteor be,
A space program trained there,
He studied the details to care,
He met his parents again in Flagstaff,
He said not missing them one wit,
His eyes sparkling
As the sky was darkening
He didn’t want grandma to go
As this had been her show
The old roadside curiosities
Felt like a trip of impetuosities
That bonded young and old
A coin not to be sold
We hope he will keep
When her life is complete
A road traveled together
Makes everything so much better


Dawned
Darkness illuminated by a crescent
Looking like an ear with dangling star earring
Haziness of light as an iridescent fog
Suspended as a net waiting to catch
All the thoughts that have flowed
During an all-night talk
Of two people that
Couldn’t stop talking
Because the freedom
Of past discovery
Thought not new
Was healing
That spot
Which no longer bled
No more lead all purpose
To push through
What was to
what could be
Or scrubbing clean
What had been
The first ray spikes
As a strong spine
Where limbs grow
As the sun spreads
Stretching her influence
A sprout reaches up
Nodding to the ray’s warmth
The truth shared
It raises up our heads
To know, to glean
What is deep in our cores
The sun shares space with moon’s head
And star’s jeweled jealousy
A few tears shed to water
The deep roots that are already there
Feeding the plant that turns its face
Towards the warmth
Showing the bloom
That was waiting
Among the thorns
And cracked earth
Transforming dessert dweller
To prized beauty
As it dawns
On her what was, is,
And is to come
From patchy clouds
To clear intense morning light


Verdant Vacation
“You need to go on a vacation,”
“I know,” was always my reply
I’d look forward to time to myself
And spying on a piece of the world
That wasn’t my home
But belonged to somewhere in my soul
I’d picture each stop
What I’d look for
Where I’d find
Just the right thing, food, or fun,
And I’d say, ”Hon, could you just scratch that spot?”
It would be glorious
In my mind, always
Then I would drag back
Monday morning slapping me awake
Thinking to myself, “Oh for pity’s sake
What did we do?
What have I done?”
And “I cannot go on.”
Groaning all the way into work
Then some co-worker beams at me
“Welcome back! How was it?”
And I cock my head with coquettish grin remembering,
“It was great!”
They quip, “Need a vacation from your vacation, huh?”
“Just,” I sigh
Keeping close those indescribable treasures
Where day dreams met expectations
My body bids for more of that
As it pushes through
The pushpins of places marked
On my home map
Tacked to my globe
That spins in my mind
Searching for that next vacation

No comments: