Monday, April 15, 2019

NaPoWrMo: #14 The Burning of the Bells...so very sad

https://spiritdailyblog.com/news/notre-dame-burning

I tried to find a past poem I wrote about Quasimodo, but I couldn't find it. I think it is posted here somewhere on this blog. However, the sad news today is all I could think about. Here is my poem offering tonight.




Holy Fire Week
A casual observer
Shocks me to my socks
“I hear Notre Dame is burning!”
I had no words
A blur of color and wind
Paris in all seasons
And that place
That settled my inner being
By being a center
Of a city, a time, an era, and history
Mine, yours, ours, and a nation

It was seen to tour the beauty

But to know the celestial wonder
Of the story of Christ though

The church and the lives
Of so many faithful
That sang, prayed, and gathered
Here as an anchor
To God so far away
Brought closer in this
Cathedral of opulence through simplicity



The worn faces of apostles
Staring out to the city
Guarding the passers by
Gargoyles crouching
Ready to pounce on any evil thing
That dared to swirl around the doors
Or fly up to the bell tower
They would be ejected
Caught in the teeth
Of those gruesome guards
And spit out to be
Splattered on stones below



They are the gatekeepers
That welcome in the bright light
Through that multi-hued round window
Named for a rose
Delicate as each petal
Touching to form a whole
Which colored the colorless
Bathed them in afternoon warmth
God’s loving embrace from above
This warming peace through light


Though the halls and nooks
Were quite dark
The lights were always enough
To illuminate what was hidden
In corner alcoves, a Bible story
Painted or sculpted for us to understand
Seeing the searching faces of those
Who sought God’s presence before us


At some angles on the outside
The building looked like it was about to launch
The flying buttresses holding it steady
For nearly a thousand years
The spire, perhaps the last to be built
Pointing so straight up to God
If ever there was a neon sign
that was the one
and now it is gone
Consumed by unholy fire

From an unknown source


The people weep
Not knowing where to look
As the sign has collapsed
In a gasp, trying to breathe
Out it’s last words
Still standing
God not gone
I will rise again
This is Easter’s song
My son in red walking towards the church 7/2017


1 comment:

Anjum Wasim Dar said...

indeed very sad, but this is a temporal world, so many great cities monuments and places have met with this fate...the strange thing is that in these times fires have become almost a daily happening