Saturday, April 13, 2019

NaPoWrMo: #12 Thoughts on The Diary of Anne Frank


We went to Seattle Children’s Theatre’s lovely rendition of A Diary of Anne Frank tonight. It got me to thinking of all she must have thought. A lifetime of thoughts in one so very young. Here is my attempt to put that into words.

Anne’s Diary of Hidden Places
A small tight space
Standing side by side for hours
Bombs going off
Shaking the plaster
Down until we look like
Old men and women
Even though some of us are children
We might die as the old
Even though we haven’t
Fallen in love, walked in the sun holding hands
Found our place taking up the space
We thought we could or would
The world hasn’t heard our voices
It wasn’t our choice
To go into hiding
Because our customs
Our beliefs are different
And we are from old lineage
Our heritage scares
The man across the street
Because we are many
We are now being hunted
Down to few
I cry seeing a sliver of the open sky
Imagining I’m a bird
That can fly far away
From the destruction and hate
I believe all men are really good at heart
This is where they start
They are like barren trees
That sprout buds
Bursting forth from love’s
Eternal spring calling
Into a full strong tree
Full, green leaves of life
That shade me when the sun
Is too strong
So, I can rest
This is what I think of
Crammed in where I don't belong
Waiting for the noise to end
The sorrow that drowns my dreams
To drain away
And though I am soaked
I will dry off
And write about the glorious sun
That is the prettiest sunset
And I will see it in the dawn
Of my new day
The world’s new love
For all mankind

No comments: