Thursday, April 19, 2018

NaPoWriMo: #24 The Breakdowns


We live in a 1946 beautiful log cabin and I do love it in so many ways! It started really just a couple of months after we moved in back in 2007, but this year has been crazy! We’ve had 2 different pipe catastrophes, a broken sink, a broken garbage disposal, toilet, toilet seat, thermostat/furnace (during a cold snap), and now…well, read the poem to the end to see what now. And don’t even get me started on the car (in competition with the house I is my guess)!

A Series of Breakdowns
What goes through the pipes
Is like spite
That grows, and grows, and grows,
No one knows where it comes from
As it was found in the ground
Initially it blows
Burbling, gurgling, underneath
It seeped into the soil
Until it began to leak
As it boiled through
On the walls, a goo
That was unrecognizable
Then there is the garbage
Our privilege
To have a machine to take out
The smell of doubt
I made sure it was small
Pieces that wouldn’t stall
Because I knew it was
Harmful in large quantities
It wouldn’t go with ease
So I made sure it was teeny-tiny bits
But it still stuck together to cause fits
That packed, and packed, and packed,
It sat like the fat
That sticks to me
Makes me want to flee
I fight to chop it up too
So I won’t be so blue
But what can you do?
Then the frozen cold
Where we felt like mold
In the wet
I wish I’d still had a pet
That would sit and purr
With lots of fur
To keep me warm
During all those storms
I often mourned
Our toes like blocks of ice
It wasn’t nice
And now, the furnace won’t stop
It is very hot
But I open windows
And take off clothes
Which isn’t bad?
It makes me glad
To be warm
We are nearly there
This year has been a bear
And made me so aware
How much I do love this house
Even though it is not new
And it tends to spew
Right on cue
Now the dishwasher too
Has broken down


No comments: