Saturday, May 16, 2015

Musical Memories

Last night my husband and I got to go out on a date to the Seattle Symphony. It was glorious music of Purcell, Handel, Bach, and Vivaldi. Incredible healing music after the week we'd had with our son's school and just trying to make decisions and the hectic life of work this week. We were both so tired, but sat there soaking in the sumptuous sounds surrounding us. I can go on and on about the skill of this world class symphony that we have in Seattle, but there was much more that stood out to me.

Sense memory is a powerful thing and mixed with the beauty was recognition of where I was when I first heard some of that music. The Bach took me back to me slipping on my headphones after class at boarding school to lie down for a nap. I'd often listen to Handel or Bach as they would support my flagging energy into a deeper comforting sleep. Don't get me wrong, I loved the music, but I was very ill at the time and in a lot of pain with a stomach ulcer and so feeling isolated---it was comfort and renewed my energy to hear that music.

The Vivaldi was a surprise as my oldest brother David's face popped into my head as soon as the music began. I didn't associate this piece with him, but should have as I realized I first heard it when he was in college singing with his college choir. He was so happy after that performance and during it singing away in the tenor section. He talked about how fun it was to sing the "Gloria". As I was listening last night, my subconscious recognized it first as small tears leaked out of the corners of my eyes and down my face. I could see him in my minds eye being happy and it made the music so much sweeter.

One of the Vivaldi pieces, a duet by the glorious soprano and alto soloists, "Laudamus te" was sung at our wedding also. That was a wonderful reminder how music can bring you to a time of remembering those beginnings that set you up in life. I leaned into Martin as he smiled at me with the recognition of enjoying this moment together.

I'm still thinking about that music as I get  ready for bed tonight. Thinking about what we are singing at church tomorrow. What does that mean week after week? Where does it take my spirit? I look to lean into the sound and support of the music to bring me to a renewed space---a place of comfort.

"Highest renew your goodness
every morning from now on....
He will increase in us
what he has promised us out of grace,
so that we trust fast in Him,
abandon ourselves completely to Him,
rely on Him within our hearts,
so that our heart, will, and mind
depend strongly on HIm:
therefore we sing at this time:
Amen, we shall succeed, if we
believe from the depths of our hearts.
Alleluia!"

----Bach : Cantata No. 51, "Jauchzett Gott in allen Landen!" BWV 51 (Sung by a bird-like soprano beautifully---Ms. Amanda Forsythe---I applaud you!)

No comments: