Monday, April 01, 2024

NaPoWriMo is National Poetry Writing Month or write a poem a day. I haven’t done it since 2019, but I used to participate every year. Grad school and then early teaching derailed that. I give myself a limit of writing poems in 10 to 20 minutes and then posting them. Some days they have lots of potential and some days not so much, but I post them all. Let me know if you are going to participate and I’ll read what you write too. The link to sign up to register your site with poetry here

 It was my students writing with our Writers In the Schools (WITS) poet who has been teaching my English class for the last several weeks. His name is Jay and he’s brilliant at getting good work out of students! Listening to their poetry today inspires me to try again.

Tonight’s offering is not the best and not the worst I’ve written, but to be back at it is the theme of tonight’s poem. 

  The Announcement 
Proclaiming how I’m going to attempt 
With a pocket full of ambition 
Sculpting the talents I’ve been lent 
Doing nothing new 
I spew, 
Second time around 
I believe I’ve found my flaw 
Shying from the letter of the law 
I dance a few steps 
Overwhelmed, verklempt 
Near best, failing test,
I desist 
Third time’s charm 
I think “What’s the harm?” 
Finding a cue 
That isn’t used 
Tightening the script 
I let it rip! 
Success of sorts 
Not the sport 
I believe to be 
Set out to sea 
Wealth’s spree 
Free to be me

No comments: