Saturday, April 06, 2024

 NaMoWriPo #6: Not sure where this one came from except, I was listening to the rain outside thinking how nice it had been. Isn’t life a lot like that?

 

Tonight’s Forecast

 I thought the weather would hold

That is what I was told


The clear blue sky

Not a cloud going by

The sun reflected on

Every surface, pond

Where the lights sparkle

Blinded and startle

Because of change

 

Tucked away sun retreats

Behind the first fluff, it meets

Then another and another

Scuttling fast like a stutter

In and out dark polka dots

Prance as the sunspots

Are fewer and the temperature drops

Signaling the end

 

A light prick hits like pretend

There are freckles where the river bends

Winding away from fields of hay

The darkness makes it grey

Like false night

Fatten drops fight

The blend of storm stew

Sticking the grass to shoes

The smell washed clean

In this dim scene

Intensifies this day

 

Thunder rolls grand

Lightning takes a stand

Flash to illuminate the stark

Outlined bodies in the dark

It shakes me awake

I’m afraid I’ll break

At first, I listen

To the howling ghosts

I get up; grab my coat

Throw open the door

Rain pounding on my floor

As it hits me in the face

There isn’t enough space

To get away

 

Shivering wet I stand on the threshold

A desire to not be cold

Deciding to be bold

I step out

I shout

Stop!

 

Everything moves

Like jazz or blues

to recreate in reverse

that sunny universe

my mind warms

not so forlorn

I will sing

 

I am still wet

And rather upset

That is all it took


Was this little hook

My voice

A choice

To change nature’s course





No comments: