Sunday, April 13, 2014

Skagit Valley Tulip Festival

(I did write both poems before midnight on April 12th, but didn't get posted until the 13th! Eeeek! The words and pictures were not cooperating tonight.) 









We took a trip up to see the beautiful Skagit Valley Tulip Festival today. It goes all the month of April and never fails to amaze me even though I’ve been many times. The second poem comes from the walkways up there and my son was fascinated with them---many of the children were. They are seemingly cracked, but spongy and bouncy. 

Transcendent Tulips
Caught in the rush
My face full flush
Turned into the sun
The tulips run
Forever into the horizon
Color completed 1 Nisan
Here painted into the earth’s fabric
An awakening white tantrism
Giving in to the unraveling
Of spring hovering, rattling
All that screams “rest me!”
Compounded with fresh air tests
The squeezing in my chest
Against the fray’s current
Obsessing on circumstances weren’t
I let go into the field
Fervid fever of fancy I yield
Yellow, pink, purple, red,
Where you have lead
I will go with the flow
I know and lo!
I’m on the mend

C





Dry Mud Pie Trails
My boy bounces on his toes
Over a mound of earth
“It’s cracked earth, like the desert scorched,”
He believes the hot sun has done this
Though we’ve hauled him out of mucky mud puddles
And avoided the squishy earth that wants to suck us down
He dances over these cracked plots
Testing the buoyancy in one spot
Kicking up clods
Like it is his job
To make a new road
That is smoother
And easier for us to walk
He is serious and ignores
The beauty all around
In favor of this one cracked space beneath his feet
“It is springy, yeah, underneath there” he states again and again
As we point out the color streaming around
In the flower’s finest hour
We take pictures of this plant that will die in minutes
As he talks about what will last
The mud, the earth, and the thing the flowers are planted in
It never goes away
He knows what is important
And that is what holds his concentration
Despite our loud shouts
Of what is beauty?
He finds distinction
In the ordinary place
A bit cracked and dry
With a bounce unusual
He imagines the possibility

Underneath the common ground

No comments: