Friday, May 01, 2015

The Last One for Poetry Month….NaPoWriMo #38 & #39

Well it was April 30th when I wrote the first one, but in a flash I had to write the second one and I’ll be posting now just after midnight….oh well. It was a good month! Here is a super simple poem to end on and then one of my signature rambles in the moment. The month always goes so fast chronicling it this way in poetry. I write a lot even when it isn’t April, I just don’t post them all.
We went to the UW Planetarium tonight for a presentation on the stars and planets. It was nice as it was a special night where families with autistic children could come in for free and hear this presentation and it was supported by the Autism Center there. So it was noisy and had a lot more little ones than I expected, but most of the kiddos were into it and that was fun to see.
I wish I’d had paper with me as I was thinking of doing a poem on the planets, but it had melted away by the time I arrived at home. Instead, I just wrote what I see at night here on a really great star night and then a bit of observation during our "Night Event Under the Stars".

Seeing Stars

When I look into the night sky
I see slurry of cumulus
Blurring out the moon
And all that might be hidden there
I stare intently searching the heavens
For a light or glimmer of life forms
That could be starring back at me
There is a small break
And as one that spake
A new creature tongue
There tenderly hung
Is one tiny particle of light
Shining so bright
Against the odds
Of obscuring obsoleteness
In it I pin my wish
Of another point of light
Laser beaming through the blackness
And coming up for air
That I might too
It happens like the dawn
Slowly the clouds pull
Away the magic curtain
Revealing a most grand treasure
Spread as King Midas might do
Extravagantly scattered pearls
Lining a vast ocean floor
I swim in the richness
Filling up my soul
Pouring over them
From my small spot
But feeling so gigantic
With the universe
And all the galaxies
Mapped out before me

It Happens Under His Stars

Dark eyes and tiny face
Looking up into a projection of space
You cry when they move
And when it stops, you are mesmerized
My son is leaning on me
Hearing the noise of little babies and toddler screeches
He digs into my shoulder
Squeezing my hand
Straining to hear what
Is being presented about Jupiter
I stroke his smooth, soft locks
Hoping my heartbeat will drown out
The sea of tension rising in his body
As the running little boy and sobbing babe
Peak in intensity
He hunkers down against me
Indeed finding my steady beat
This seems to defeat the cacophony
And he sits up ready to comment on Uranus
But Pluto is the one he has questions about
As the knowledgeable grad student
Called it once a planet and then not
My son gravitated towards
“What is the criterion please for a planet?”
The student didn’t really have a good answer
This made my son squirm
like there were ants literally in his pants
He wanted more facts to the matter
Hard as the planet’s surface
To chase the uncertainty of this place away
To paint a sure picture of what is in space
And tune out the other noises
That crumble his inside structure
Facts hold it all up
Like steel girders that
Are the bones of the building
Are inside his brain
But run all the way to his toes
There was another little boy
That was competing for knowing
All the facts by the naming the planets
And what they were composed of
The other little professor complained
That my boy was too quick to answer
So my boy stopped answering
And pulled my arm tighter around him
As he bit his left index finger knuckle hard
As if to say, “I can’t help it, sorry.”
I didn’t want him to be quiet
I wanted him to keep going and going
Like when it is just the three of us
And he is telling us parents
Every single thing he knows about
The universe, history, weather, or video games
It is his to dispense
With a sense of himself
He can feel himself in space this way
It helps him to know he is really here
And that his opinion and knowledge matters
No labels, no barriers, and no one else to tell him differently
He can see it all at once
The big, huge, gigantic picture
His universe on the inside
That tumbles out daily
In facts, figures, and fitful flights of fancy
It is freedom of the highest order
His vast galaxy

No comments: